Friday, June 01, 2012

Scissors, paper and stone??

Glue perhaps!! It is that time of the year again, when there is a frantic search for saved-up brown wrapping paper, labels, glue, scissors and all of the other paraphernalia in preparation for the yearly ritual of “book wrapping”.


As usual, I had left it to the last minute and 8:30 pm last night finally saw me sit down and tackle this long-overdue task. Frantic appeals to hubby dear for help were met with “We didn’t have to wrap our books in school.” Now I wonder if this is the case with all the schools in Trivandrum or was it only hubby dear’s snooty convent that had this rule?? And beneath it all I have this niggling feeling (call it a woman’s sixth sense) that this is the easiest cop out that hubby dear could come up with at the moment.

So that avenue closed, I set to with a gusto, with frequent pauses due to paper cuts and labels not behaving themselves and sticking themselves everywhere except where they were supposed to go.

My mind flashed back to when friends at work had told me they were going to be outsourcing this task. All agog, I had asked for details. It seems an enterprising bunch of people would wrap books for any school per specifications for a small sum of money. This included doing it for those schools who insisted on white paper wrapping, newspaper wrapping, polythene sheet wrapping…you asked for it...they got it done!! Why, oh why, had I not taken the number?

As the night progressed, nostalgia replaced my outrage at having to do this all by myself while hubby dear and son were fast asleep upstairs. Scenes of the past flashed past my eyes. Doing this almost reverentially while I was at school, the glue all over the floor, my poor mom having to get it all off, the bits of brown paper that were magically turned into fantastic beasts with just a tiny bit of glue; placing the newly wrapped books into a brand new bag, and going to sleep ecstatic that it was a brand new year school with new friends and brand new experiences to boot!

11:30 pm and all is right with the world. I am done!! As I look at all the neat piles of newly wrapped books, my only regret is that I will not be the one that will be going off to school tomorrow. But then, Appu will, and that’s close enuff…me thinks!!

Hope you have a wonderful school year, Appu panther!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home